From Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert
Serves 4 to 6 people
4 tbsp oil or butter, or a mix of the two
4 3-4’’ strips of kombu seaweed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger root, peeled and minced
1 tsp rosemary or sage
1 cup water
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 medium onions, cut in ½-inch slices
1½ lb squash, seeded & cut in 2” chunks
2 parsnips, peeled and cut in 1/2” chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut in ½” slices
1 ½ cups cold water
16 oz/500g tempeh, cut in 1-inch squares
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
1. Melt butter and/or oil in ovenproof Dutch oven. Add seaweed, garlic, ginger and herbs, and sauté 2 minutes
2. Arrange tempeh in a layer on top. Whisk together water, soy sauce and maple syrup, then pour over tempeh.
3. Layer veggies onto tempeh in order listed. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Transfer to preheated oven and bake at 400’F until veggies are tender, about 25 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer veggies and tempeh to a serving bowl, leaving juices. Place Dutch oven on stove over medium heat.
5. Combing water, soy sauce and cornstarch in bowl and mix until dissolved. Whisk into juices. Simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Pour over tempeh and veggies. Serve with rice or bulgar.